Skip to main content

Harry Alyea collection

 Collection — Folder: S019
Identifier: S0019

Scope and Contents

This collection contains photocopies of general store records during the years 1826-1866, including a general account book from the township of South Middleton, Cumberland County, Pennsylvania during 1826-1830; a register of the wives and children of Union soldiers from Brandywine Township, Hancock County, Indiana and accounts of the goods provided for themduring the American Civil War from 1861 to 1864; and a report from the trustee of Brandywine Township to the county commissioners from 1859 to 1866, with records of the county treasurer.

Dates

  • 1826-1866

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

This collection is open for research.

Conditions Governing Use

Legal title, copyright, and literary rights reside with Rare Books and Manuscripts, Indiana State Library, Indianapolis, IN. All requests to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to Rare Books and Manuscripts.

Administrative Note

Today, Brandywine Township is one of nine townships in Hancock County, Indiana and covers nearly 25 square miles. The township was organized on April 7, 1828 and named after Brandywine Creek, which runs through the township. Just prior to the Civil War in 1860, Brandywine Township's population numbered 986 people. William Service was elected the township trustee, serving between 1859 and 1869. The people of the township helped provide for the families of local men who volunteered to serve in the Union army during the American Civil War.

Sources:

Items in the collection.

Binford, John H. History of Hancock County, Indiana: From Its Earliest Settlement by the "Pale Face," in 1818, Down to 1882. (Greenfield, IN: King & Binford, 1882), 77-83.

Hancock County Indiana. "Brandywine Township." Last updated 2011. Accessed August 5, 2015. http://www.hancockcoingov.org/brandywine-township-hancock-county-indiana.html.

Richman, George J. History of Hancock County, Indiana: Its People, Industries and Institutions. (Greenfield, IN: Wm. Mitchell Printing Company, 1916), 513.

Extent

0.03 Cubic Feet (3 folders)

Arrangement

This collection is arranged chronologically.

Custodial History

This collection was received by Rare Books and Manuscripts as a donation from Harry Alyea on 1967/07/12.

Accruals

No further additions are expected.

Processing Information

Collection processing completed 2005/01/20 by Jennifer Duplaga. EAD finding aid created 2015/07/30 by Laura Eliason. EAD finding aid revised on 2015/08/05 by Brittany Kropf.

Creator

Title
Harry Alyea collection
Status
Completed
Description rules
dacs

Repository Details

Part of the Rare Books and Manuscripts Repository

Contact:
140 North Senate Avenue
Indianapolis, Indiana 46204 U.S.A.
317-232-3671