Skip to main content

H. M. Flora, Jefferson County, Indiana photograph collection

 Collection
Identifier: P008

Scope and Contents

This collection contains photographs from H.M. Flora in Madison, Indiana ranging from 1926 to 1927 and undated, regarding houses, buildings, landscapes, and other scenes in Madison, Indiana and its surroundings in Jefferson County.

Dates

  • 1926-1927, undated

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

This collection is open for research.

Conditions Governing Use

Legal title, copyright, and literary rights reside with Rare Books and Manuscripts, Indiana State Library, Indianapolis, IN. All requests to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to Rare Books and Manuscripts.

Biographical Note

Herbert Marshall Flora was born to Orlando and Elmira C. Flora on September 14, 1869 in Madison, Indiana, where he lived his entire life. A photographer, Flora worked from a studio on Main Street in Madison, concentrating first on portraits before graduating to landscape photography of the city and its environs. He married Rebecca B. Schafer on July 4, 1891 and they had a son, Ervin B. Flora died on January 13, 1952 and was buried in SPringdale Cemetery in Madison.

Sources:

Ancestry.com. "Herbert Flora." 1880 United States Federal Census. Accessed April 5, 2021. http:/www.ancestrylibrary.com.

Ancestry.com. "Herbert Marshall Flora." Indiana, U.S., Death Certificates, 1899-2011. Accessed April 5, 2021. http:/www.ancestrylibrary.com.

Ancestry.com. "Herbert M. Flora." Indiana, U.S., Select Marriages Index, 1748-1993. Accessed April 5, 2021. http:/www.ancestrylibrary.com.

"Death Claims Herbert M. Flora." Madison Courier (IN), January 14, 1952.

Findagrave.com. "Herbert Marshall Flora." Find a Grave Memorial. Accessed April 5, 2021. https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/87199584/herbert-marshall-flora.

Extent

0.3 Cubic Feet (1 manuscript box)

Language of Materials

English

Arrangement

This collection is arranged by subject.

Custodial History

This collection was received by Rare Books and Manuscripts as a records transfer from the Indiana Division in 1998 April.

Accruals

No further additions are expected.

Item Listing

Box 1

Folder 1 The old William Bruning residence The old C.C. Coruett residence on the hill top Drusilla Lanier Cravens house, top of hill overlooking Madison Drusilla Lanier Cravens house in the distance, turn of the road, SR 29 Home of Mrs. William R. Davidson Home of Mrs. William R. Davidson Residence of udge John R. Cravens at Fairmont on the hilltop Residence of Mrs. James E. Crozier The old home of Mrs. Cunningham on the hill top The old home of Mrs. Cunningham on the hill top The old Fitch residence Living room and parlor in the Fitch residence Stairway and hall in the old Fitch residence A.V. Flora residence, Mrs. H.M. Flora, H.M. Flora, mrs. E.E. Flora, A.V. Flora, and Mrs. A.V. Flora The old M.C. Garbber house, corner of 2nd and Central Ave., built in 1853 The old M.C. Garber residence The M.C. Garber residence and lawn Residence of Mr. Michael E. Garber, editor of the Madison Courier The old Hiz home, this house was planned by the architect Costigan The S.Q. Howe house. It stood where the depot is now

Folder 2 The Colonial Inn, now the home of the Jefferson County Historical Society; The original Lanier house House built by Major Alex Lanier; the ifrst Grand Lodge of Masons in Indiana organized in 1818 Old house at the corner of East and 2nd streets, built by John McIntyre 115 years ago One of the oldest houses in Madison, the McClelland house The old McKee house, corner of Broadway and 1st street The old G.W. Palmer house The old I. Ross house; one of the first brick houses built in Madison Shrewsbury house, north side (later Mrs. Harry Walker home) Shrewsbury house, south side Shrewsbury house, south side Shrewsbury house, south side Dining room, Shrewsbury house Spiral stairway,Shrewsbury house, south side The old C.A. Stanton residence The Schofield house, formerly the Todd house The old William Trow resident

Folder 3 J.D.F. Lanier house in Madison J.D.F. Lanier house in Madison A very late photog of the Lanier house South entrance to the Lanier house Pilgrimage of the IN Historical Society taken at the Lanier house, Oct. 1927 The Lanier and lawn Dedication of Lanier house, Oct. 9, 1926; Col. Richard Lieber, director and Everett Gardner Dedication of Lanier house, Oct. 9, 1926 Dedication of Lanier house, Oct. 9, 1926 Dedication of Lanier house, Oct. 9, 1926 Dedication of Lanier house, Oct. 9, 1926 Children at the dedication of Lanier house, Oct. 9, 1926 Governor Jackson, dedication of Lanier house, Oct. 9, 1926 Dedication of Lanier house, Oct. 9, 1926 North and west sides of Lanier house High water, March 1927 Blue room, Lanier house Study room, Lanier house Study room, Lanier house Study room, Lanier house Guest room, Lanier house Guest room, Lanier house Guest room, Lanier house Gold room, Lanier house Blue room, Lanier house Blue room, Lanier house Drawing room, Lanier house Living room, Lanier house Drawing room, Lanier house Maple room, Lanier house Maple room, Lanier house Dining room, Lanier house Entrance and downstairs hallway, Lanier house Entrance and downstairs hallway, Lanier house Drawing room, Lanier house Living room, Lanier house Study room, Lanier house

Folder 4 First Baptist Church Interior of St. Mary's Catholic Church St. Michael's Catholic Church building on the left is the recotry Interior of St. Michael's Catholic Church Christ or Episcopal Church Christian Church Lutheran Church built in 1842 German M.E. Church founded in 1847 Odd Fellows FOuntain and Trinity M.E. Church The old Wesley Chapel, M.E. Church The Madison Presbyterian Church The old First Presbyterian Church parsonage The old Second Presbyterian Church

Folder 5 Wilson's Cave Clifty Falls Clifty Falls, 94-foot fall of water Clifty Falls from the top of the cliffs View in Clifty Falls State Park taken in 1927 Clifty Falls Old Clifty Inn Hanging Rock in winter Hanging Rock close-up in winter Hanging Rock in winter Stone settee in Clifty Park Stone settee in Clifty Park Bronze inscription set in back of stone settee in Clifty Park Balanced rock near Clifty Park View in Clifty Falls State Park, 1927 View in Clifty Falls State Park, 1927 View in Clifty Falls State Park, 1927 Bridge, View in Clifty Falls State Park, 1927 View in Clifty Falls State Park, 1927 View in Clifty Falls State Park, 1927 View in Clifty Falls State Park, 1927 Residence of Mr. Copeland, custodian of Clifty Falls Park Shower Bath Falls near the Hanging Rock Shower Bath Falls near the Hanging Rock Approach to the "Old Swimming Hole," Clifty Falls State Park The "Old Swimming Hole" Hanging Rock

Folder 6 First National Bank The Vail Memorial Funeral Home City hall Eagle Cotton Mills built in 1884 The courthouse and market square The courthouse "Cragmont" Southern Hospital for the Insane Dr. George W. Denny's Sanitarium The Elk's House The old 3 horse fire engine The old 3 horse fire engine Government building post office Public square, J.E. Crozier monuments, W.W. Crozier Job Printing, Grand Opera House Peter Weber Brewery, corner Main and Vine streets Winterwold The King's Daughters Hospital The old Broadway Hotel, corner of Main and Broadway The old Finnegan Hotel on Broadway Jefferson Hotel, Mulberry and 2nd streets

Folder 7 Hillside Hotel Hillside Hotel and annex Looking west down Main St. from Hillside Hotel; the annex in foreground Hillside Hotel at the end of Main St. Western Hotel, corner of West and Front streets Harper's Drug Store, masonic temple and National Branch Bank Masonic temple Middleton monument The County House or Poor Farm of Jefferson County The first YMCA building in Indiana, built in 1883, Hanover College

Folder 8 The Baldridge Gates Assembly Hall, south side facing the Ohio River Entrance to Hanover College grounds, showing library and part of Assembly Hall Science Hall Gymnasium The Girl's Dormitory Science Hall Hendricks Library The residence of Prof. W.O. Miller Hanover College campus, library to the right, Science Hall to thte left

Folde r9 The "Old Hill Train to Madison," coming down loaded with an excursion train of 14 coaches The railroad cuts, looking south in winter The cut South on Road 3-6 into Madison, rialroad cuts to the right The Round House at Norht Madision The old Pennsylvania freigh depot The J.M. and I. passenger depot Concrete bridge crossing railroad tracks at top of hill entrance to "Cragmont" High Bridge, K.Y.

Folder 10 The Edward Eggleston School built in 1906 3rd District Public School built in 1864 5th District Public School built in 1875 The old Lower Seminary built in 1871 Junior High School built in 1877 Senior High Schhol built in 1868 Broadway High School (colored) built in 1898

Folder 11 Looking west from below Clifty Falls Inn, October 30, 1926 West down the Ohio River from Clifty Falls Inn East form Clifty Falls Inn, Madison in the distance Country Club grounds from the top of the Kentucky Hills Cragmont Southeastern Hosptial for the Insane, from the top of the Kentucky hills The old Michigan Road now Interstate 29 Jefferson County Poor Farm Harvest Creek madison, 1894 Madison looking west The little village of Bee Camp Looking north down Main St. From College Point, West Hanover, Indiana East from Big Cedar Cliff Brother Falls just below Hanover, Indiana Tunnel Falls near madison Sugar Loaf Hill, Ohio River, Kentucky in the distance Madison from the Kentucky shore Madison from the Hillside Hotel "Happy Valley" from a paointing by William McKendree Snyder Rykers Ridge Road and valley Eagle Hollow from Cedar Cliff, Pleasant Ridge Road Top of dyke at Madison from Kentucky shore

Folder 12 Washington, paddleboat Game wardens for Indiana, Col. Lieber in the center The bronze figures on top of the Middleton monument J.F.D. Lanier photo from oil painting The Odd Fellow Fountain on Broadway in Madison The largest elm tree in Indiana at Deputy, Indiana Jefferson County

Processing Information

Collection finding aid created 2011 April by Treva L. Nally. Collection processed 2021/04/05 by Brittany Kropf. EAD finding aid created 2021/04/05 by Brittany Kropf.
Title
H. M. Flora, Jefferson County, Indiana photograph collection
Status
Completed
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin

Repository Details

Part of the Rare Books and Manuscripts Repository

Contact:
140 North Senate Avenue
Indianapolis, Indiana 46204 U.S.A.
317-232-3671